Architectural Specifications Writer – Richmond, VA – Job #Spec-L4
Design is in the details; great design requires the talents of a skilled Specifications Writer. Baskervill, a multi-disciplinary design practice, is seeking a junior designer or materials collaborator to work closely with our Director of Specifications to learn, and assist with, creating specifications for diverse clients in education, hospitality, healthcare, workspace, and much more. As a new Specifications Writer you’ll perform assignments and work within our established specifications system to increase your knowledge and understanding of design, materials, and building construction.
Reporting to the Director of Specifications this role involves research of project scope, materials and codes, design collaboration, keynoting and general costing. The position requires interaction with Revit.
- Write technical specifications (project manuals and drawing sheet specifications) for building and interior projects in accordance with Master Format and AIA standards.
- Coordinate and publish specification documents, including documents prepared by consultants.
- Prepare addenda documents and revisions
- Coordinate schedules and deadlines with internal team and external consultants
- Work with project design teams and consultants to research and recommend components and building systems that support project design program and design intent.
- Stay current the latest standards and forces affecting product and system availability
- Use creativity and knowledge to solve problems
- Attend team meetings and internal scheduling meetings
- Perform technical research on products to be included in the written specification.
- Incorporate applicable Federal, State and Local laws, ordinances, regulations, statutory and documentation requirements for specifications.
- Participation in Industry and Baskervill internal/external events for both community involvement professional growth.
- 4+ years related specifications, architecture or related experience required
- Bachelors of Architecture or Building Construction required; licensed or on track to be licensed preferred
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite required
- Strong organizational, communication (both verbal and written) skills required.
- Ability to effectively coordinate with internal architectural, engineering team and consultants on multiple projects.
- Some knowledge of construction materials and construction.
- Some knowledge of US building codes, building systems
- Obtain proficiency in e-Spec for Revit
- Program experience in the usage of Revit
- Obtain CSI Certified Construction Specifier (CCS)
- Active listener; ability to source knowledge from multiple resources
- Organized; track and share information, write content and keep records for the team.
- Ability to seek out innovative design solutions.
- Possess skills in project/time management, multitasking, organizational & problem-solving skills
- Self-motivated and focused on consistent performance improvement over time.
- Awareness of legal responsibilities of professional practice, potential errors and omissions, liabilities in design and construction, and professional ethics.
- Flexible and open minded; follow industry changes, evolutions and best practices.
- Communication and collaboration skills that enable a professional approach to interaction with superiors, co-workers, vendors and clients.
- Ability to interpret the team’s design and learn to replicate that design in specifications
Please email resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org referencing Job #SPEC-L4 to be considered.
If you are disabled or otherwise unable to apply online please mail to: Job #SPEC-L4, Baskervill, PO Box 400, Richmond VA 23218.
Baskervill is an E/O/E/M/F/D/V and drug free environment.